Form and meaning
We use reporting verbs to report what someone said more accurately than using say and tell.
Verb + infinitive
agree, decide, offer, promise, refuse, threaten
- They agreed to meet on Friday.
- He refused to take his coat off.
Verb + object + infinitive
advise, encourage, invite, remind, warn
- Tom advised me to go home early.
- She reminded me to telephone my mother.
Verb + gerund
deny, recommend, suggest
- They recommended taking the bus.
- She suggested meeting a little earlier.
Verb + object + preposition (+ gerund)
accuse, blame, congratulate
- He accused me of taking the money.
- They congratulated me on passing all my exams.
Verb + preposition + gerund
- They apologised for not coming.
- He insisted on having dinner.
Verb + (that) + subject + verb
admit, agree, decide, deny, explain, insist, promise, recommend, suggest
- Sarah decided (that) the house needed cleaning.
- They recommended (that) we take the bus.